Coconuts and curry leaves


Coconut island.

Hello world! Little did I know that one day I would write a blog! ๐Ÿ˜„Let's get started, shall we?

Sri Lanka – the land where I was born and raised. A tiny island with big vibes! Think coconut palm trees swaying in the breeze, sun-kissed beaches and food that'll make your taste buds dance. And guess what? Coconuts and curry leaves rule this island!๐Ÿฅฅ๐Ÿชด

The coconut, revered as the 'tree of life,' finds its way into almost every aspect of local cooking, from savory curries to sweet desserts. Coconuts are basically the superheroes of the kitchen! Picture this: every dish seems to have a touch of coconut magic. From creamy coconut milk to freshly grated coconut, it's everywhere! And let's not forget about coconut oil – it's not just for cooking, it's a beauty secret too!

Here's the man in the house scraping coconut. 

Step into any kitchen in Sri Lanka, and the aroma of spices mingling with the fragrance of curry leaves fills the air. These glossy, aromatic leaves are an indispensable component of Sri Lankan cuisine. Whether it's a spicy fish curry or a cozy bowl of dhal (red lentils), trust me, those curry leaves take the flavor to a whole new level!

Every Sri Lankan house with a garden (+/- 90% of the time) has a curry leaf plant or a curry leaf tree in their garden. In Sinhala (one of the official languages in Sri Lanka), it is called "karapincha" and in Tamil (the other official language in Sri Lanka), it's named "karuveppilai". You really don't need to visit a special spice garden to see, touch and smell these leaves, simply walk around a Sri Lankan garden or a back yard. Otherwise, just peep inside the kitchen.

Now, curry powder is not just solely made of curry leaves. Curry powder has a combination of spices in it along with curry leaves. I'll write another blog later with more details on curry powder and how it's made. We, Sri Lankans add curry leaves in every dish we cook for its flavor and aroma! But hey, curry leaves are great for our digestive system too. They can help ease digestive issues like bloating and indigestion. Having said that, most Sri Lankans (I do) tend to pick them out of the curries while they eat rice and curry. ๐Ÿ˜„Don't ask me why! My personal justification is that there are so many of them and I don't want to swallow them all.  

Curry leaves in my parents' garden.

To me, my island is all about coconuts and curry leaves – two essential elements that define Sri Lanka.

Do you feel like discovering my island? ๐Ÿ˜Š Feel free to drop me a message or check the website

- Chaya


Comments